Commercial Sketchup plugin:
- Artisan($39) – this “subdivides” models into smooth geometry. Good for making organic curvy models, works with the free or pro version of Sketchup. It’s the one I used to make this Rod of Asclepius.
HUGE list of plugins
– Its here if you need it, but I don’t recommend installing more plugins than you really need as it can get confusing and make Sketchup run slower.
3D print services – upload your 3D model and these folks will print and ship it to you
– usually cheapest, awesome customer service, and by far the easiest way to sell your designs to the world. Offices in New York and the Netherlands.
– excellent selection of materials, priority service available, cool contests. Based in Belgium.
– order prints, open a shop. They have some popular iOS apps. Based in France.
– sell your 3D prints alongside electronics and CNC or laser cut goods. Offices in New Zealand & California, with 13 digital “making hubs” around the world.
– crowdsourced, local-to-you 3D printing. Thousands of 3D printer owners listed, from little desktops to large commercial operations.
Desktop 3D printers – build one from a kit, or buy one ready to go
– self-replicating 3D printers, sort of. You also need non-3d printed parts as well. Inexpensive way to get started with your own printer.
– a very popular desktop 3D printer.
News Sites – subscribe to keep up to date
– 3D printing forum. News, case studies, and advice; great for open discussion.
– my favorite blog for breaking 3D printing news right now. Awesome 3D printer directory.
– breaking news and good commentary from the authors
3D Print HQ
– News on 3Dprinting and a fantastic glossary
of industry terms
– magazine dedicated to makers. A big deal in the 3D printing community.
– mostly Shapeways news, learn how people are using the service
Inspiration – Folks that I admire selling 3D printed designs
– online design-your-own-print apps, awesome jewelry and housewares inspired by nature.
– 3D print sculpture pioneer. Sweet symmetrical math-inspired designs.
– clever designer showcasing a smorgasbord of functional, visually aesthetic wares including Apple accessories.
– super successful Kickstarter campaign selling 3D printed art